Tuesday, September 21, 2010

South Africa's Second Miracle

The “legend” of South Africa’s first “miracle” is well known.  The peaceful transition from the apartheid era to the new democracy.
Those who have read Nelson Mandela’s “Long Walk to Freedom” – and maybe even those who have not, will know and acknowledge the huge part that this icon played in the miracle.  But the main part was played by the people of South Africa.
For days and hours we stood in long lines waiting for our opportunity to vote.  The voting process was not slick or elegant at that time.  Everything was so new.  We had never done this before – black and white, standing side-by-side.  Census information was not that reliable, and no-one knew exactly how many people would turn up where to cast their vote.
I personally stood in line for about 5 hours.  What was so amazing was the camaraderie that existed.  There was no frustration at the long wait, no “racial” tensions, no police presence – just South Africans getting on with it.  We were all unprepared for the long lines, we didn’t bring food, or water.  That was no problem, someone would go and fetch bottles of water from home, from the shop, and share it out with all around them.  Others would buy bread and make sandwiches for themselves and the people around them.  Those remaining in the line would “keep their place” in the line.  No fuss, no bother, just come back into your place in the line when you returned.  Calls of nature were treated with the same goodwill and co-operation.  How amazing is that?  Is that what anyone expected at the time - South Africans from all cultures and creeds mixing together for the first time?
Let me assure you, it was a time of immense pride in being a South African, and a time of incredible excitement at the prospects for South Africa in the future.  I had learned the new national anthem and stood proudly in front of my TV singing the words at the inauguration of our first democratically elected President.
Photo: Gail Sturgess
So, what is this about a “Second” miracle?  Well, one thing I discovered comparing the second miracle to the first is – it’s the PEOPLE of South African that make miracles.  Not politicians, not business leaders – the people!
The second miracle is the World Cup that took place in South Africa in June and July 2010.  There was so much questioning and Euro-pessimism leading up to the World Cup.  And even people in South Africa – the same people who still don’t understand the first miracle – were pessimistic about what would happen.
Stories of soaring crime because the police were all engaged in the World Cup.  Stories of attacks on tourists.  Stories of stadia not being ready.  Stories of not enough visitors coming to South Africa.  Stories of what would happen with “white” people going to Soweto, and “black” people going to Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria.  The world abounded with these “stories”.
But, “cometh the hour, cometh the man” (John 4:23), in this case - cometh the people of South Africa.  Man – were those “doomsayers” knocked back in their socks!  The people of South Africa, as ONLY a South African can do, opened their cities, their restaurants, their parks, their homes, their vuvuzelas, and, most of all, their hearts to the visitors, the players – and yes, even to the FIFA officials and foreign dignitaries.
Oh, of course the politicians were there – the “blue light brigades and squandering our hard-earned taxes as only they know how best to do.  But they really didn’t matter.  They played no role in the magic and miracle of the South African World Cup.
I have the privilege of living in Cape Town.  I didn’t have tickets to any of the games, but “did” the Fan Walk for two of the major games that were played at Cape Town Stadium.  Between 120000 and 150000 people were on that Fan Walk – about 60000 (?) had tickets!!  What an experience!.  The friendship and solidarity of all, the mingling of supporters of all sides, the “side shows”, the stalls of memorabilia, the painted faces, the waving flags, the “fan gear” adorned by fans, the endless sound of the vuvuzelas, the fellowship of just enjoying each other’s company and the basking in the pride of just being a South African!
Photo: Gail Sturgess
My friend and I stopped along the Fan Walk for a drink.  We sat and watched the joyous cavalcade of humanity pour by.  No problems, no arguments, no incidents.  Just the most amazingly happy amity.
As I sat watching, I experienced, as I had experienced in 1994, the deep-down, gut-wrenching feeling of absolute and total pride in just being a South African.
So – I’ve experienced two South African miracles in my life-time.  Greedy or not, I can’t wait for the third one.  Until then, I refuse to give up on that feeling – my mirror socks are still on, my flag is still flying, and my scarf still adorns my neck.  I wait in excited anticipation.

1 comment:

  1. It's one year ago today that the World Cup kicked off. I re-read your impressions and they captured the mood, the atmosphere. I liked the way you tied in the 1994 experience. I was on the front-line as a television journalist in those heady days in '94. One hardly had time to reflect. 2010 was different in that I was not reporting, but my eldest son was.But although my experience was limited to the fan walk,once, I
    was able to feel the pride and the sense of national achievement, through my son. Great seeing things through the eyes of the next generation.

    ReplyDelete